Gall Solicitors who will cover the following areas from a legal perspective, followed by a Q & A session at the end.
- Common mistakes to avoid
- Starting out correctly with HR contracts,
- Hiring Interns
- Terminating Staff
- Are there any requirements for a company when giving an employee notice to termination (e.g. is email sufficient?)
- When termination payments must be made?
- What are the prohibitions against termination (e.g. during maternity leave and paid sick leave)
- In what circumstances can I summarily dismiss an employee?
- Can I suspend an employee from his/her duties whilst I conduct an internal investigation?
Post Termination Restrictions
- How to determine if PTRs valid and enforceable?
- What can the company do if a former employee breaches the PTRs (e.g. cease and desist letters, injunctive relief, civil claim)
- Updates to the MPF system. Can MPF be used to set-off long service pay?
- How much sick leave are employees entitled to?
- Can I require an employee to be assessed by a particular medical practitioner?
- What is disability discrimination and in what situations would this be trigged?
- Practical tips such as whether an employment contract is needed, whether MPF is payable etc.
We know if you do not get this right, it can be costly and you can end up wasting your precious time defending. Also, when you get a chance to speak to lawyers and gain their insight, you should never turn this down!
Felda Yeung, Partner, Gall Solicitors
Felda joined Gall as a trainee solicitor in 2011 and was admitted as a Solicitor in Hong Kong in 2013. She was promoted to Of Counsel in June 2021 and to Partner in August 2022.
Felda has experience in commercial and civil litigation, with a focus on arbitration, contractual disputes and fraud investigations. Felda also co-leads our Employment practice where she acts for both employers and employees on contentious employment law matters.
Recent arbitration related work includes enforcing foreign arbitration awards in Hong Kong and defending applications to set aside arbitration awards. Recent litigation work includes assisting in large-scale cross-border actions worth in excess of HK$1 billion at both the Court of Appeal and Court of Final Appeal stage and obtaining various injunctions and urgent interim relief both in support of Hong Kong proceedings and in aid of foreign proceedings.
Felda completed her LL.B and PC.LL at the University of Hong Kong. She also completed a LL.M in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution at the University of Hong Kong and is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. She was also a member of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre’s HK45 Committee, a group for all young arbitration practitioners in Asia and beyond for two consecutive terms.
Date: Tuesday, 14 March 2023
Time: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Venue: Gall Solicitors, 3/F Dina House, Ruttonjee Centre, 11 Duddell Street, Central, Hong Kong
Premium member price: HKD 350
Member price: HKD 550
If you would like to sign up as a premium member to take advantage of premium member rate, please get in touch with email@example.com or visit our membership page.
WEN thanks our event sponsor